Wednesday, March 17, 2010

New low fat recipe!

Eating healthy is kinda a big deal in our house.  The problem with that is that low fat/healthy/clean/non processed food usually doesn't taste that great.   ::coughcardboardcough::   Let's be honest here, I love me some processed food (omg Totino's party pizza and aerosol cheese), and a raw carrot just isn't going to cut it for me sometimes.

So I *try* to find ways to make my favorite foods in a better for you healthy way and last night I made these enchiladas.  I guess I'll be creative and call them Turkey/spinach/sour cream enchiladas. 

6 98% fat free tortillas
1 pound low fat ground turkey (sub chicken if you don't like turkey)
Some spinach ( I'm guessing that I used about 1-2 cups?  I didn't measure.  I used frozen but I think fresh would work MUCH better.
1/2 cup of LIGHT sour cream (only 2.5 grams of fat!)
1/2 cup 2% mexican cheese
1/2 can of green chile enchilada sauce (or you can puree a can of green chilis.  If you have rotel tomatoes and green chilis you can probably use that too- just puree it to make a sauce)
Garlic because I like it.
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350.  Brown turkey and garlic in a skillet until cooked through.  Add spinach and cover.  Cook on med low heat for about 5-10 minutes and add sour cream.  Stir until it's all mixed up.

Spray your 9x13 pan with Pam and take tortilla and fill it with the filling.  Add some cheese and roll that bad boy up.  Do this until you run out of the filling or run out of room.  Cover all your rolled tortillas with either the green chili enchilada sauce (I used a can sauce from the taco section at the store) or the rotel.  Sprinkle your enchiladas with some cheese and cook for 25 minutes!

Add some black beans and some light sour cream or salsa and enjoy! 

I don't have pics.  Sorry.  But I really enjoyed them and so did Jim and they were super fast so thought I'd share.

No comments: