Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Latest project...

This is my first attempt at making a baby toy.  The little boy who will be here soon has parents who are huge Star Wars fans and have decorated his room in stars, moons, and rockets...so I decided to try my hand at making a plush baby taggy toy in the shape of a rocket! 

I set off to Hobby Lobby land and found some great fabric that matched the colors of his room and then went off to find (or pray to find) and online tutorial of sorts...you know...since I have no blasted idea what I'm doing. 

Wouldn't you know it?  I found a GREAT tutorial!!  The Long Thread is a wonderful site full of cool and interesting projects so I used the easy to follow tute and came out with this:
 I have a super cool neighbor who loves sewing as much as I do and has WAY more experience, so I bribed her with some wine and she helped me construct this thing.  We used minky and fleece as well as felt and cotton and then attached taggie ribbons on the bottom.  I'm so excited about this little toy!  At the last minute I decided it needed more fun so I ripped one of Addy's old jingly toys, stole the jingly, and stuffed it inside.  I then decided to make a moon, sun, and star to match.  I didn't have a pattern for that...as you can see from that wonky star...I'm not sure what happened there.  :)

I was so excited when the mommy-to-be opened it and loved it!  And we had so much fun at my impromptu sewing party, that I'm pretty sure it's going to become a regular event.  The husband will have to get over it.  haha.

For my next trick I'm for real going to try sewing from a pattern.  Addy needs some uniforms for school and finding a uniform for a toddler that is cute as well as cheap isn't the easiest task... so I'm gonna make it myself.  Hmph.  :)

No comments: